Product Eco Design
Newhey Carpets is committed to being an industry leader in new product development. Key to this is the development of innovative products that:
- Use more sustainable raw materials including those with a recycled content
- Are more resource efficient in their manufacture
- Are more readily recyclable at end of life
Product eco design innovations to date include:
- The development of a hot melt adhesive backing system to replace the carpet industry’s traditional latex backing system with a solvent-free EVA adhesive. The process itself also uses greatly reduced quantities of water, energy and adhesive per m2 overall and results in a less material intensive product while maintaining the same pile quality.
- The adoption of a secondary backing material that is 100% recycled evobac resulting in a finished product with 18% recycled content.
- The use of evobac has also enabled a further reduction in gas consumption for this process of 30%.
Newhey Carpets are committed to the concept of the circular economy and we are now working towards development of a 100% recyclable product.